@pod2g, one of the renowned developer, with his dedication and months of hard work has released the exploit for non A5 devices and has handed over the same to chronic and iPhone dev team and finally we can now install iOS 5.0.1 on non-a5 devices, jailbreak and untether.
So now you can do an untethered jailbreak on iPhone 3GS, iPhone 4, iPod Touch 4G, iPod Touch 3G and iPad. Firstly for people who have not yet upgraded to 5.0.1, please do so now as Cydia is still accepting SHSH and follow the guide given below to jailbreak and untether.
Note: The process given in this post is not valid for iPhone 4S and iPad 2.
For those who already have already unlocked their iPhone 4, 3GS using ultrasnow or gevey, it is highly recommended you upgrade your device using a CUSTOM iOS 5.0.1 IPSW only.
Lastly, if you are running a iOS 5.0.1 with a tethered jailbreak, you can either run redsnow tool version 0.9.10, deselect Install Cydia and proceed or install Corona 5.0.1 Untether from Cydia and reboot your device to have untethered iOS 5.0.1.
Files To Be Downloaded For Performing Jailbreak
- Redsnow 0.9.10 b3
- iOS 5.0.1 IPSW File – Download (make sure you download the IPSW file for your device only as the same file comes in different version for different device, eg: If you have iPhone 4, download iPhone 4 IPSW file and not any other)
- Latest iTunes – Download
Now that you have already downloaded the required files you are all set to go.
How To Jailbreak iOS 5.0.1 And Untether(Step By Step Guide)
- First of all you should make a backup of your device and then restore to iOS 5.0.1 using iTunes Connect your device to iTunes, from the left pane click on your device and then press SHIFT + restore. When the explorer window pops up, select the IPSW file and finally press restore.
- Once your device has been restored and fires up well, you are ready to jailbreak and untether the OS now. Connect your device via the USB, open redsnow tool that you had downloaded and click on Jailbreak.
- On the next window you need to put the device into DFU mode. If you don’t know how to do so, power off your device, and press next and the tool will instruct you further. Make sure you follow the instructions correctly or else you will have to repeat the same again and again until you enter the DFU mode.
To brief you, one can enter DFU mode by switching off the device, press the home + power button simultaneously for 10 seconds precisely and then leaving the power button and pressing the home button only for the next 30 seconds.
- Once you have entered the DFU mode, the tool will check your device’s build and on the next window you will four options. Here select Install Cydia and press the next and within 5 minutes, you will be having a jailbroken and untethered iOS 5.0.1 running device.
If you have any queries or face any problem, feel free to ask. Hope the post helps you.