Apple has created the desired stir in the market with its latest iPhone, the iPhone 4S. It has some remarkable features both on the hardware and operating system level. Except the very exclusive Siri, most of the new features are available for older devices as well, but surprisingly the phone and the operating system have not stood up to many people’s expectations and turned out to be complete disaster. But we have received many comments on readers facing iPhone 4S, 4 Overheating With iOS 5 problem. The reason for this is the short battery life and the overheating problem which is being reported by many.
To increase battery life the suggested steps include turning off locationg services, iCloud and even the notifications but if you ask us, what is the purpose of offering such features which drain the battery? It certainly has disappointed us and as of yet there is no sure shot solution to it. The overheating issue, which is the next major problem, is being experienced by many iPhone 4S owners where a short use of any application would heat up the phone to extreme levels. In fact the battery drain and overheating issue has also been experienced by people owning an iPhone 4 with iOS 5.0 and 5.0.1.
For some of the suffering users getting the phone replaced was the best solution while for others a little deeper understanding of the new iOS helped. First of all, as mentioned above, the battery drain problem could be addressed by turning off(when not needed) the newly added features including, notifications, location services, iCloud etc.
iPhone 4S, 4 iOS 5 Battery Saving Tips
Recently a tweak known as iOS5 Battery Fix was released on Cydia targeting at the battery drain issue but so far we have not come across any person for whom the tweak was helpful. So if you feel like giving this tweak a try, go ahead.
Useful Battery Saving Tips
- Disable Bluetooth (Settings>General>Bluetooth>OFF)
- Disable notifications for specific or all apps (Settings>Notifications>OFF)
- Disable Ping (Settings>General>Restrictions>Ping>OFF)
- Disable Time Zone Adjustments (Settings>Location Services>System Services>Set Time Zone to OFF)
- Disable iCloud under Settings>General>iCloud
- Turn OFF location services
- Disable Diagnostic and Usage Reports (Settings>General>About>Diagnostic & Usage> DON’T SEND)
Beside these steps a very helpful tip is of resetting your network settings which resets all network settings(including passwords) VPN and APN settings. You can do so by navigating to Settings>Reset>Reset Network Settings.
Surprisingly removing your existing email accounts and re-adding them have helped many users in getting more battery life.
- Firstly delete all email accounts from Settings
- Now Reset Network Settings
- Reboot device
- Lastly re-add your email accounts
iPhone 4S, 4 iOS 5 Overheating Prevention Tips
iPhone overheating is generally caused by applications sending and failing or sending large quantities of data. The Method No. 3 under Battery Saving Tips can save battery and also avoids overheating at the same time. If Method No.3 fails to work for you, following a few basic steps given below might help you:
- Drain the battery of your device until it shuts down and does not restart, and then charge it continuously for 4 hours using the wall charger. Do not use your computer to charge it.
- Go to Settings > General > Reset and tap on Reset Network Settings. This will remove all the passwords, including that of all Wi-Fi networks and then reboot your device.
- If step no.2 doesn’t help, navigate to Settings > General > Reset and tap on Reset All Settings.
- Use the Restrictions feature under Settings and disable the following applications Multiplayer Games, Ping, App Store, iTunes Store and reboot your device. If this does help, disable restriction on applications (one at a time). It would help figure out which applications are actually draining your battery.
- Last but not the least you can disable notifications for applications like Yahoo, Facebook and for other streaming applications.
I know the procedure is long but if you patiently try the abovementioned steps, one of them could actually solve your problem. Best of luck.